[Aranym-user] HOWTO updated

Petr Stehlik pstehlik at sophics.cz
Thu Jan 15 11:47:32 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 11:11, Marc-Anton Kehr wrote:
> > I hope EasyMiNT installer gets updated soon.
> Sure, but what has changed, so that it doesn't work anymore?

The new FreeMiNT CVS alpha does remove the __NF cookie altogether (Frank
did that in order to prevent user space applications to call NatFeats
directly). My fault - I haven't updated the NF docs yet. On the other
hand, the new FreeMiNT kernel features direct NatFeat support so for
example the "sysctl" utility now lists the machine as "ARAnyM" (output
of NF_NAME).

In order to provide clean and proper identification of ARAnyM machine I
decided to set an unique _MCH value - and defined 0x50000 as the ARAnyM
ID. This is hardwired in the latest EmuTOS and users can (should) set it
for their TOS configurations.

So it would be great if the EasyMiNT installer did first check the _MCH
cookie and if it's $50000 it's running on ARAnyM. I don't think you
would bother implementing the sysctl functionality in GFA in order to
get to the NF_NAME info cleanly but anyway, for detecting ARAnyM the
_MCH check is enough.

Or do you use the NatFeats for anything else but the ARAnyM detection?