[Aranym-user] afros

Petr Stehlik pstehlik at sophics.cz
Mon Jan 26 14:07:10 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 13:49, Henk Robbers wrote:
> The problem (for a newbie) is that it is unclear what to download
> from the download area.

download the most recent thing and you're done :) The versioning of
AFROS I mention on afros page, IIRC.

> I also couldnt find a concise and clear description of how to install
> afros.

Ever followed its README? Try it, it won't hurt :)

> If now I knew how to start the whole thing from the KDE desktop.

I don't use KDE and I don't know RPM so I don't know how to let it
create menu items. Although you can always create menu items by yourself
- aranym is in /usr/bin (as all other binaries).

> Is there a script somewhere that just starts aranm.

why would you need a script? Starting 'aranym' is enough. Or, in case of
AFROS - if you unpack it to /tmp/, you'll need 'aranym -c
/tmp/afros/config' which still can be added as a parameter to your menu
item for aranym.

BTW, /tmp/ is usually erased on each reboot so it would be smarter to
unpack AFROS to e.g. your $HOME. Don't forget to edit its config then,
best by using the ARAnyM SETUP GUI.

> the minimalistic emutos ST-high desktop appears in a window.
> But it is unusable because no devices are active.

I know the documentation of aranym is lame but is has some 26 kB worth
of info and you don't feel like you ever see it. If I am wrong and you
read it carefully then please ask about a concrete thing or a problem.

P.S. Sorry for being so dry, perhaps somebody with plenty of free time
can give better advices than the boring "RTFM".