Aranym box (was: Re: [Aranym-user] screenshots wanted)

Petr Stehlik pstehlik at
Thu Jan 29 17:59:10 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 17:32, Standa Opichal wrote:

> There are quite few problems to solve there. We would need to create
> ARAnyM internal (maybe GEM) tools

the SETUP GUI is good enough (and getting better after each Xavier's
commit :)

> My view on this is to make FreeMiNT be able to use the NIS (or Yellow
> Pages if you like) and create tools that would manage host OS users,
> groups and other things the way it would not be visible. You can also
> share the filesystems than easily via NFS.

First you talked about ARAnyM/AFROS as the only OS on the box (linux
being stripped down to plain kernel and hidden inside) and now you talk
about the exact opposite thing (which is OK but might confuse readers so
I am stepping in to clear it up).

These are actually the two most different usage scenarios - the former
is ARAnyM preinstalled on a hardware (with host kernel hidden as much as
possible), the latter is smooth coexisting of ARAnyM with the Host OS,
allowing the users to switch back and forth between AFROS and Host OS,
sharing files etc..

In the former case it does not make any sense to manage host OS users if
the host OS is not there, right? The NIS etc is useful for the latter
'coexisting' scenario only.

So the users of ARAnyM divide here into two groups and it depends on the
interested developers which direction will be developer further. ARAnyM
can handle it both, it's mostly a matter of the installation model.