[Aranym-user] Speed up natfeat possible?

Francois LE COAT lecoat at lutece.net
Sat Feb 18 07:38:05 CET 2006

Hi Johan,

Johan Klockars wrote :
>> Notice fVDI have the same problem, with truetype font load (ex Cab
>> starting),
>> and Johan write me he try to do a cache in it (this is a very good
>> solution it
>> will speed up fvdi on all configs).
>
> This is now implemented in the latest version of the fVDI engine. To
> turn it on, use a line such as:
>  filecache 1024
> in FVDI.SYS to allocate 1024 kbyte for FreeType2 font file caching.
> It's a good idea to put that line before your "fonts =..." line, so that
> the initial FreeType2 engine font checking also uses the cache.
>
> Up to 15 font files (less if they don't all fit in the cache at once)
> can now be kept loaded in RAM, avoiding all file system accesses. When
> more files are used, the least recently used one (or several, if needed
> to free space) will be thrown out and the new one loaded instead (This
> can be a relatively slow operation, especially with a big cache, since
> the implementation is very simplistic for now. It shouldn't happen very
> often, though, except when starting up programs that do silly things.
> But then it is still likely to be much better than before.).
>
> Note that I've not actually tested this with more than a few files at
> the moment, so it's possible that there is still some bug in the file
> discarding mechanism. If you run into that, let me know and stay with 15
> or less fonts for the time being (or don't turn on the filecache).
>
> Regarding the speedup, I've only been using a very few vector fonts
> here, so I've not really had a problem with the speed before. I haven't
> tested much now either, but I did notice that HighWire seemed to start
> up quicker, and zooming a page in that program using +/- was
> significantly quicker than before.
>
> Comments and bug reports are very welcome.

Do you still maintain fVDI updated on your own WEB site ?

The modifications that you're talking about (filecache 1024) doesn't
seem to be synchronized from CVS and <http://www.klockars.net/fvdi.html>

Another thing is that the font cache should be for 16 fonts and not
15 ... That's much more suitable, because fonts goes 4 by 4 (normal,
bold, italic, bold/italic).

Configurations such as the following are embedding 16 fonts :

<http://eureka.atari.org/pack_aranym.zip> for Linux and
<http://eureka.atari.org/MacAranym.zip> for MacOSX.

Thanks for what you're doing :)

Best regards,

-- François LE COAT
Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer, 3D Modeller)
http://eureka.atari.org