[Aranym-user] X Server and fVDI

Jean-François Lemaire jflemaire at skynet.be
Mon Feb 20 19:25:00 CET 2006

Hello,

Some quick notes before more thorough tests:

On Monday 20 February 2006 12:46, Johan Klockars wrote:

> Highwire doesn't really seem to use the vqt_xfntinfo() data much, and
> it worked even with the old partial implementation.

Highwire doesn't work for me now. It displays nothing but a few random
words scattered across the page.

> Regarding X, I noticed that it calls vqt_fontheader() as well, even
> though it doesn't do anything terribly important with the results. To
> be on the safe side, however, I've now implemented that function too
> (with the same kind of fake values for various things as
> vqt_xfntinfo).

X.app starts without producing any warnings now, and the
file /var/lib/Xapp/fonts.db, which lists all the fonts available from
the VDI, lists dozens of Century fonts, but with the correct
formatting.

However, X seems somehow to grab all the resources of the system: the
mouse pointer stays a very busy bee and starting an X application after
that, e.g. nedit or gaim or even Xclock, doesn't produce any warning
but doesn't result in anything useful either: if I don't kill X quickly
ARAnyM slowly but surely crawls to a freeze.

I must point out that I don't have a Century font installed, if that
matters.

> It would be nice with real font name/family/style information from
> these functions, I suppose. ;-)

I suppose too :-)

Sorry if these aren't very detailed descriptions, but I wanted to
promptly test and report back. I certainly wasn't expecting to come
back from work and see the problem I posted about yesterday so quickly
addressed. Hope this helps a bit anyway. I'll dig further now that I
have some time.

JF

--
Jean-François Lemaire