[Aranym-dev] USB feature (was: Update for sdlgui)

Thorsten Otto halgara at yahoo.de
Wed Feb 11 06:01:32 CET 2015

> That's work for the packages' maintainers, if we agree on a common user
> and/or group. It could help for the aratapif as well (if it's used yet).
Yes, but there should at  least be a hint in the spec file. Or some other way to tell the maintainers that there is additional setup needed when enabling this feature, i don't think that the maintainers are looking into the source code to figure that out by themselves.
Adding the user to a group is another thing though, because that can't already be done when installing the package. If we decide to keep Davids solution we have to fix the code to allow that, or give a hint at least to the user when opening the devices fails.
> I would keep enabled as many features as possible. It's sad when a
> project contains many features that are generally unknown because they
> are not compiled in by default.
I totally agree on that (btw the nfosmesa feature is also not enabled by default).

Its a bit problematic with the USB feature though, because it opens quite some security holes if we allow an arbitrary user to write to the USB bus. The config file that David mentioned even makes the devices world writable.
Thorsten
PS:  is anyone familiar with AppArmor? I think that might by another option to define the permissions.

     Petr Stehlik <pstehlik at sophics.cz> schrieb am 9:08 Dienstag, 10.Februar 2015:

 Thorsten Otto píše v Út 10. 02. 2015 v 04:09 +0000:

> I mean that, to get it working, that file should be created when you
> install the package (*.rpm. *.deb or whatever). Also the group
> (aranymusers) should be created then. Im not entirely sure but i guess
> that creating a new group largely depends on the distribution. You
> also have to find some way of adding the user to this group.

That's work for the packages' maintainers, if we agree on a common user
and/or group. It could help for the aratapif as well (if it's used yet).

> > This is why I think is useful to be able to claim HID devices from
> > Aranym, so we can develop and test those device drivers.

> If it is only for developing drivers, then that feature should
> probably not be enabled by default.

I would keep enabled as many features as possible. It's sad when a
project contains many features that are generally unknown because they
are not compiled in by default.

Petr